Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Strike talks break off between Hollywood actors and studios -Capitatum
Algosensey|Strike talks break off between Hollywood actors and studios
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:15
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Talks have Algosenseybroken off between Hollywood actors and studios, killing any hopes that the strike by performers was coming to an end after nearly three months, as the writers strike recently did.
The studios announced that they had suspended contract negotiations late Wednesday night, saying the gap between the two sides was too great to make continuing worth it.
On Oct. 2, for the first time since the strike began July 14, the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists had resumed negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, streaming services and production companies in strike talks.
When negotiations resumed with writers last month, their strike ended five days later, but similar progress was not made with the actors union.
The studios walked away from talks after seeing the actors’ most recent proposal on Wednesday.
“It is clear that the gap between the AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA is too great, and conversations are no longer moving us in a productive direction,” the AMPTP said in a statement.
The SAG-AFTRA proposal would cost companies an additional $800 million a year and create “an untenable economic burden,” the statement said.
Representatives from the actors union did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Actors have been on strike over issues including increases in pay for streaming programming and control of the use of their images generated by artificial intelligence.
The AMPTP insisted its offers had been as generous as the deals that brought an end to the writers strike and brought a new contract to the directors guild earlier this year.
From the start, the actors talks had nothing like the momentum that spurred marathon night-and-weekend sessions in the writers strike and brought that work stoppage to an end. Actors and studios had taken several days off after resuming, and there were no reports of meaningful progress despite direct involvement from the heads of studios including Disney and Netflix as there had been in the writers strike.
Members of the Writers Guild of America voted almost unanimously to ratify their new contract on Monday.
Their leaders touted their deal as achieving most of what they had sought when they went on strike nearly five months earlier.
They declared their strike over, and sent writers back to work, on Sept. 26.
Late night talk shows returned to the air within a week, and other shows including “Saturday Night Live” will soon follow.
But with no actors, production on scripted shows and movies will stay on pause indefinitely.
veryGood! (52)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Little League World Series highlights: Florida will see Chinese Taipei in championship
- Texas chief who called Uvalde response ‘abject failure’ but defended his state police is retiring
- How Usher prepares to perform: Workout routine, rehearsals and fasting on Wednesdays
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Inside the Shocking Sicily Yacht Tragedy: 7 People Dead After Rare Luxury Boat Disaster
- NASA decides to keep 2 astronauts in space until February, nixes return on troubled Boeing capsule
- NASA Reveals Plan to Return Stranded Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to Earth
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Michigan political parties meet to nominate candidates in competitive Supreme Court races
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- No. 10 Florida State started season with playoff hopes but got exposed by Georgia Tech
- Gossip Girl's Jessica Szohr Shares Look Inside Star-Studded Wedding to Brad Richardson
- Hailey Bieber and Justin Bieber Reveal Name of First Baby
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Why Sabrina Carpenter Fans Think Her New Album References Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello
- Michigan political parties meet to nominate candidates in competitive Supreme Court races
- Little League World Series highlights: Florida will see Chinese Taipei in championship
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
College football Week 0 breakdown starts with Florida State-Georgia Tech clash
Can Sabrina Carpenter keep the summer hits coming? Watch new music video 'Taste'
Trump-backed Alaska Republican withdraws from US House race after third-place finish in primary
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Are convention viewing numbers a hint about who will win the election? Don’t bet on it
Takeaways from AP’s report on federal policies shielding information about potential dam failures
Texas chief who called Uvalde response ‘abject failure’ but defended his state police is retiring